There is a thread on Twitter asking people to comment, “What’s the most GenX thing you did?” It’s a riot — check it out.
These are my responses:
- I brought a typewriter to my freshman year at Mary Washington College.
- I stood in line outside the registrar’s office to register for classes. I once had to camp out there overnight so that I could be first in line, because there was only one spot left in a course I really needed. My girlfriend brought me snacks.
- I walked to air-conditioned “computer pods” in a designated academic building when a computer was required to properly format term papers.
- I had a 5-disc CD player that could play songs at random, and I filled it with U2, Nirvana, Depeche Mode and Pearl Jam. I marveled at how cool this advanced technology made me.
- I wore a jean jacket.
- I wore fluorescent clothes and went to raves.
- I’ve watched every Kevin Smith movie at least twice.